Friday, June 28, 2013

Week 3 KIDS CAN DO- Squirt Gun Curtains Made by Kiddos for Kiddos

Hey Friends here is my post for kid's week! This was so fun and really pretty easy. 

A few tips: put them in some old clothes and SHOES! Unless you live somewhere where being naked is an option. Also, having more guns then colors of paint is a great idea, they clog up pretty fast. The boys favorite colors to use were the glow in the dark, which they sell in a multitude of colors and also the shimmer, metallic paint.

Armed with a photo of their bedspread I picked up various colors of acrylic paint and a pack of 8 squirt guns for $2.99.  Little boys + paint + squirt guns you're guaranteed a great and really messy time! I hung up a sheet outside and they went to town. We even used a glow in the dark paint!


When they were all done squirting, we left it out to dry while we cleaned off with the hose. I took the sheet home and turned it into two curtain panels, added some fun double zigzag stitching on the edges in blue and red thread. 

How did I do this you wonder... Once the sheet is painted and dry through it in the dryer on high heat to seal in the color. Now you're going to cut the sheet down the middle, like you're dividing the bed in half foot to head. The key to cutting is you want the top of the sheet where you put your head to be where the rod goes through so it will be at the ceiling when hung. Choose your stitch for the top and sides. I used a twin needle zigzag in two colors: red and blue. First I stitched the top right along the existing stitches in the sheet. Then I stitched the already hemmed edge just for the color effect, again right along the existing stitches. Lastly hem the raw edge, I folded mine over about half an inch. Repeat with the other panel! DONE--Easy right. You can do this with any sheet you find. I have striped ones in my living room :) Pending on your window you'll need to decide on the size sheet to buy. My living room has a wider window so I used 2 twin sheets, for the kids' room I used the queen size.

To allow the rod to go through the top portion of the curtain, cut a little slit next to the hem on either edge. Make sure you only cut it as wide as the rod and ONLY CUT THROUGH THE BACK OF THE FABRIC!!!! You don't want to be able to see your slit in the front. I suppose you could hand stitch reinforce the slits, but I haven't and they work great!

The next day I delivered their curtains for their room and they were SO excited!  


When you hear, "Wow, that's great! I love all the colors!" from a 4 year old you know you've done something right for kids week. I said, "You made that!!" Little man said, "I know!" with a giant smile! The curtains are so fun for their room and the glow paint adds the "stars" element! They kept saying, "Turn off the lights!!" The total cost for this project was $10 for the flat sheet, $1.57 per paint color and then a rod if you don't already have one. I'd suspect most of you have all the supplies on hand already.
 

Now go gather up the supplies and release the kiddos to make their own room decor. Pillow cases  to match would be super fun too! That's next on our list for the boys :)

Thank you to my friend Cassie for letting me borrow her cute kids! And a big THANKS to her parents for letting us paint their yard and still feeding me! Oh and her dad for getting the rod hung up. {Normally I would do that myself, but I had surgery 10 days ago and am being a good girl and following the doc's instructions, much to my dismay!}

<3 Melissa Delight

1 comment:

Would love to see your projects and hear your thoughts!!