Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Pretty Big News-Warning it's LONG!

I was 13 years old when my cousin gave birth to a handsome little boy. I could have caught him. The joy I felt as he took his first breath and let out that first cry! He just turned 14 last week. What the heck, how did that happen!? I knew then that I wanted to be a labor and delivery nurse. I wanted to witness miracles every day! What a blessing that would be! I remember being told it would be difficult to get into nursing school, even more difficult to survive in one piece. I did that.

I got a job, not where my dream world wanted, but I learned from the best nurses I know. They hand molded me into a strong, vivacious, outside-the-box critical thinker. I wore my running shoes to work, held the hands of couples married for 60+ years, quizzing them on the secret to a long, happy marriage. I reminded my short term memory patient a thousand and one times why he could not safely return home. I put out "fires" with my big pail of "water" so my patient could rest easy. I engulfed a freightened man in a bear hug to return him back to bed while he cried worried he had missed Christmas, "don't worry it's July" I repeatedly quizzed a doctor insisting my patient was very sick to finally find out she would require emergency surgery to save her life. The stories go on and on, but what I know for sure is I would not be the person I am today and certainly not the nurse I am without building my foundation on 5G.

Shortly before my career turned 3 I made a leap of faith and love. I quit my job and joined my incredibly wonderful man in Phoenix, Arizona. I remember walking out of my manager's office after giving her my two weeks, tears in my eyes and a "Holy Sh**" what am I doing feeling. This was not the plan. JOB-->MOVE. Pretty sure my parents were wondering what to do with me. They did what they do best, they said ok, how can we help?!

A month after being a stay-at-home girlfriend I landed the first job I interviewed for since moving. I would start in two weeks as a resource RN at Banner Thunderbird hospital. When every day feels like you're new all over again you get really good at introducing yourself. I can thank my dear friend Laura for the "Hi, I'm Melissa" skills she taught me our very first day of nursing school. But I started to miss having a team, the kind I could bring cookies to. Don't get me wrong I met TONS of people and a handful that I consider friends. I still knew that my heart belonged with moms and babies and so began my quest to get there! I started going to their education days on my own time. I met wonderful people who introduced me to more great people, who said hey get this and do this. So I got some more letters behind my name. Little ones like NRP and STABLE. I had to be marketable :) I knocked on the director's door enough times she said, "I posted a new learner position, apply!" SUCCESS!!!!

My manager in resource knew my heart's desire and released me early to begin in the world of postpartum. :) I have been their for 8 months. There is something special about being the first person to teach a new dad how to bundle his precious baby girl or the aw-ha moment a first time mom has when her baby latches at the breast. I'd call it pretty darn wonderful! And my team, well, I was blessed again! They welcomed me with open arms and I must say have secured a special spot in my heart. Yet, all the while I can't get that picture of my first labor experience out of bed. Not the bloody, gross part, but the miracle part!

With the incredible support of so many people I leaped again! This time it's a little smaller, but yet pretty HUGE! I have accepted a night shift position in labor and delivery at BTMC. That was really long winded, sorry!!! There are just so many moments and people that have made this dream my new reality. I feel like I'm thanking the "Academy" or something. haha. But in all seriousness, to all the people who believed I would get there...THANK YOU!!! Here's to learning to be a night shifter, bringing new life into the world and planning my dream wedding to my dream man all in one year!

Wow, I am blessed.

<3 Melissa Delight





No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to see your projects and hear your thoughts!!